CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

First day of 08

Well, I didn't quite make it until midnight. I prayed at about 11:00 for the new year and decided to call it a night. Although, Steve climbed in bed right at midnight and said "Happy New Year" so I guess I could sorta say I was awake for about 1 minute.

I slept in until about 8:15 or so. I met Lynn at the Y at 10:15 and worked out for about an hour. My family all went over to my Nanny's at 12:30 for the annual New Years Day black eyed pea eatin. Does anyone else do that? According to my Nanny, it's a must if you want good luck and, oh, I don't know what else. So, I did eat the black eyed peas even though they are not my favorite at all. They sorta taste like dirt to me. Don't ask me how I know what dirt taste like but if I were to eat dirt, I think it would be similar to black eyed peas...lol With that we had turnip greens (another not so favorite of mine) but I did eat them along with roast and corn bread. For desert, Strawberry short cake, now it was good. We hung out there for a while and then I headed to Hobby Lobby. Ever since Christmas I've been looking for a easel type thingy to hold a plate that my mom had made for me. Amy Donnafield drew these little people, my family...me, Steve, Chandler and Morgan and I needed a easel/holder for it. I found what I was looking for at Hobby Lobby along with some other things. When I took my Christmas tree down this year, I decided it had seen it's last year so Steve hauled it to the dump/goodwill for me, so I was on the look out for a new one. And of course, I wanted to get one now instead of waiting until next year because it would be so much cheaper. I wanted a pre-lite, for sure! I decided messing with those Christmas tree lights was for the birds especially since they made pre-lite ones now. So, already having the lights on it was certainly a must. I also wanted one of those slim, kinda skinny trees. My mother in law has one and I love it. Now, this wasn't a must but lucky me, the tree I found came with this. Rachel and Bradley had a tree that turned slowly in a circle and it was kinda cool and wouldn't you know it, the one I chose has the options of turning in a circle. Now, the best part.....guess what I paid? It was originally $199.99 meaning if I had purchased this very same tree 2 weeks ago, this is what I would have paid...not today....I bought it for $67.00. How's that for a deal?

As I was strolling around Hobby Lobby I came across this plaque, the kind that all it is, is cut out letters that are attached to each other...does that make sense? Anyway, it simply says "PRAY" As soon as I saw it I said to myself..."I love that" so it now has a home in my home.

Morgan is out shopping with Debbie and Devan. I'm telling you, I would put that kid up against anyone who shops anyday. She got tons of gift cards from different people for Christmas and that is right up her alley. She is right now at Kohls.

Hey, did anyone see the snow today? I just wish it would keep on and on and on. Don't think it's happenin though. It is suppose to be really cold tonight though, like 15 degrees or something. Shew....way cold for me.

Tomorrow is our last day of Christmas break and then Thursday it's back to the books.

I hope everyone had a great first day of 08 and I especially hope that this year is filled with God's blessings on each of you.

Love and stuff
Tam

3 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I'm SO HAPPY you returned to Blogland!!! YAY!!!
As for the black-eyed peas - - as you know, I'm not a southerner by birth and until I spent my first New Year's with my husband I'd never even HEARD of black-eyed peas! He told me we HAD to have them on New Year's Day or we'd have bad luck. I told him I'd managed to live thus far without them and I'd take my chances. When we spent the next year with his parents in TX I tasted them for the first time and your description of their taste is perfect. I agree totally with you. I'm sure glad I'm not superstitious so I would "have to" eat yucky stuff to ward off bad luck! HA! Our New Year's dinner consisted of slow cooked brisket with KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce *TOTALLY YUM!*, french fries with Arctic Circle fry sauce *THANK YOU Kasey!!!* and corn on the cob. I think our menu sounds LOTS better than black eyed peas and turnip greens *another food I'd never heard of growing up in the northwest*.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Brandon Shaw said...

Happy New years!

Sure is nice to have stuff to read again. :P

Oh and I like your template, it's cool.

Rachel said...

Hey, I LOVE black-eyed peas! BUT you are right... they have to be cooked right or else they DO taste like dirt! I like mine with lots of salt and butter... and if you can throw some jalapenos in there, that is just AWESOME! I'll have to bring you some of mine sometime and see if I can change your mind. :-) BUT it's just me, but if anyone told me to eat black-eyed peas for good luck, I wouldn't do it, just to show 'em. I'm so rebellious, I know. :-)

I'm glad you're back!