CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

1st night of VBS

Our first night was GREAT! We had about 30 of our own gleaners and VLB's and 18 visitors. How cool is that? The first night, and 18 visitors. The decorations are soooooooo awesome. I'm sure someone will take pics and post. O.K., so now I can share how I opened my class on Prayer last night.

I started by just welcoming everyone and talking about the theme. I had Steve come from the back, saying "Sis. Tammy, we have an emergency". He came and whispered in my ear as if sharing an urgent emergency with me. From there, I very seriously apologized to the youth but said we had an emergency and I had to get in touch with someone. ***you should have seen the looks on their faces, they sooooo fell for this****

I grabbed my cell phone, while talking out loud to myself and to the kids...."oh my....I don't really know what to do, I've got to get in touch with someone"..."sorry guys about this, just give me a minute". Well, my cell phone would not work, no connection (of course/on purpose). I then tried to send a text. Of course, it would not go through. (again, on purpose) By this time, the kids were suggesting things to me like..."Sis. Tammy, maybe if you go outside, you can get a connection". I even had one youth walk up and offer me his cell phone. Anyway, these kids were doing exactly what I wanted them to do. I wanted them to believe that there was a real emergency, and they did. Even the adults that were in there, believed me. YES!!!! What I really wanted them to see was how I was responding....I was trying to get in touch with someone.....someone other than the Lord?!?! ***get it?***
I even had an adult tell me after the class..."you really had me going, I thought maybe there was an emergency with Brad". So, obviously my "acting" skills were working.

Anyway, after a few minutes of not being able to reach someone through the cell phone, or text messaging, finally Steve spoke up from the back and said..."Tammy, why don't you just pray?" And I said, "oh, I didn't think of that".

Then, of course, I continued with how often do we do this? Talk to everyone BUT the Lord?

All in all, I feel like it went well. The kids interacted which always helps. The whole class was very laid back and fun! I thank the Lord!

I'm expecting tonight to be great as well. There is excitement in the air around the church.


***changing books - I've got to hit the grocery store today. As my son would say..."mom, there is nothing in this house to eat". This usually means, there is nothing that HE wants in this house to eat. But actually, there really isn't too much here. So, after my devotion and doing things around the house, it's off to Kroger I shall go.

hope everyone has a great day!

blessing - great 1st night of VBS!

3 comments:

marvoop said...

That was a great example you used in VBS. I need to remember that and use it sometime.

Katie said...

your lesson was really good, i enjoyed it. i was trying to take pictures and then my camera kept messing up!! :O. and all the pictures i took were without flash so they were all blurry. grr.. i think tonight, if my camera is working.. ill use my flash, hoping it doesnt disrupt anything...

Kasey said...

Oooh, sounds awesome.