CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 9, 2008

Ordinary Day

Well, one thing I did, with Morgan's help was to change my background. Actually, Morgan did it as I watched.

It's Monday, which means I first clean the shop. I've gotten it down to an art and it usually takes me about 2 hours. Not bad, and gives me a little pocket change.

I headed to the Y from there to get my work out in for the day. When I came home, well, that's when Morgan changed my blog. After showering, she and I decided to go to Kohls to find her a dress. If you read her blog she mentioned that she usually only wears skirts to church so we thought we might try to find her a cute dress. No such luck. In the Junior department, everything is too big. In the children's department, they fit but are too short. Needless to say, she left pretty disappointed. Oh, we did go by the Goodwill before Kohls. I try to go in there at least once a week. We both got a denim skirt for $3.99 each. All there skirts are $3.99 and I can always find something cute.

We went to see Brad for a few before stopping by Food Lion to grab some stuff. I don't usually buy groceries there but it was on the way home from Bradley's and I only needed a few things.

Tonight I made a Mexican chicken thingy. It's very, very easy and not too bad to the taste. You simply layer a 9x13 dish with tostito chips, then add a mixture of chicken (after it has been boiled and shredded) with 2 cans cream of chicken and 1 can red enchilada sauce. Pour that mixture over the tostito's and add cheese. Put in the oven to melt cheese and there ya go.

Side note that has absolutely nothing to do with this post, but I'm trying my best to get my son to get a job. He has put in a couple of apps at a few places but nothing as of yet. He's being picky and doesn't want to work fast food or at a grocery store. BUT, he may not have a choice if nothing else pans out. With gas the way it is, he certainly needs a job. When his birthday money runs out and he needs gas money.....well.....

Would I be cruel to say "no" or should I help since he's only 16? Of course Steve and I will decide but I would like to get your thoughts?

blessing - clean sheets on my bed....I wash them on Monday's and LOVE climbing in on Monday night. Ahhhhhhh........

12 comments:

Brandon Shaw said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandon Shaw said...

Um... well all I can really say is, I have a job and I'm 16.

Sara said...

I say help him out with gas money...LOL. Of course my opinion might be a bit biased, but I know I appreciated when my parents paid for gas because it made me feel like they were proud of that fact I was a good kid and of how hard I worked at school.

Sara said...

Oh, and yes I worked during summers...I babysat.

Rachel said...

Of course I've not parented a teenager before, but not too long ago Brad and I were teenagers, and looking back now that we are on our own, married five years and two kiddos... help him, but not too much. It makes it hard when you do have to do things on your own if you haven't had some practice first, before it really counts. You already gave him the car and that was plenty generous. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to help with gas and maybe insurance. That's just my thoughts and since you asked... :-)

emily said...

Psh, make that boy work. Tell him he needs to humble himself and if he can't find a job he likes than tuff tushy, work at a grocery store. If he wants gas money than he will work for it. If you ask me- you already helped him out by getting him a safe car. That's a lot more than most get.

haha. I smiled the whole entire time typing this. I think it's true though. Everyone has to start out somewhere. No one is suppose to love their first job anyway. I know you won't tell him that but I will if i must =/

wemmies said...

I committed to never work fast food. I don't blame him there. He would like grocery work. You can move up fast AND if he bags groceries at Kroger he will get tips taking the stuff out to peoples car. That always paid for my break snack and a few bucks left for gas.

Kroger is a good union company. Good benefits, regular raises, and insurance... Kim may still have connections. It pays really well and he could be stocking quickly... even more money.

Vicki Smith said...

Okay, you asked for it. Here's what "the meanest parents in the world" did for their kids: :-) Both of our kids bought their own cars and paid for their own insurance and gas. In fact, because we were really in a money crunch during their early teen years, they started raising their own money to go to Camp, Conventions, BTI and every other church function and we never missed any of them. If you want our kids' opinion of how they were treated you could ask THEM what THEY think of the way they were raised. ;-) I'm really not sure what they would say. Brother Smith got his first job at 14 and was responsible to buy his own vehicle, gas and insurance, and I was always thankful to have married a responsible man who knew how to take care of himself and not rely on handouts or feel like he was "owed" something from parents or the government, or whatever. Since HE turned out so well, I wanted my son to have the same work ethic and sense of responsibility that his dad had. We didn't make them fend for themselves because we wanted to be mean, but we felt it was for their own good to learn to be responsible while they were still living under our care. We loaned both of the kids some of the money needed to purchase their first cars, but they paid it all back. I'm very proud of our children and how they're raising my grandchildren. :-) Like I said, you asked! There's my 2 cents worth. (I'm sure your children wish I hadn't commented here at all!) :-D

crystal said...

It's part of the responsibility training...Give him time to try and find something he wants but when it comes down to it ur the parent and if u help him with everything ur only going to hurt his indepedence...kinda like a momma bird pushing the baby outta the nest, ur there when he needs u to help him...He's def a teenage guy, picky and reluctant but thts part of trying to get by with the least amount of work...like u've always said about home schooling him, he waits til the last minute why would u think this would be any dif...cha has the mentality to work smarter not harder very good quality once it's tempered with maturity and experience...this will also make him appreciate ur gifts of gas money more...thts my view..

Brandon Shaw said...

I'd have to agree with everyone so far. Especially with Sis. Smith, she said it all! :P That's basically how my parents have done it so far. And you know, I'm actually glad. It's good to know that you can rely on yourself, you know? And there's no feeling in the world that's going to be better then when I finally have enough to buy my own car. And will know that I earned it. And will appreciate it all the more.

And as for the job type situation.. I say tough cookies :P. I do concrete, how much harder can it get chandler?

Nah, I love chandler and hope he is as successful as he hopes to be in life, and then some. But we're not successful until we put a little effort into it are we? :)

Kasey said...

Ten comments already...whew...if he only read blogs haha! My uncle gave me my first car. It was NOT pretty, but it drove well and was safe. It was a stick, blech, but got great gas mileage. Now, my parents paid for my insurance, and most of my gas. However, I had two jobs in high school, and I paid for my clothes and other stuff. I was mostly spoiled, but having those jobs (which were by far the coolest jobs I have ever had, at a small airport and at the cattle saleyard) taught me responsibility. I didn't want to work fast food either, maybe he could try subway, they aren't as bad. With all the grocery stores around there, that would be good, like Wendy said. Oh, has he thought about doing anything with the YMCA? Like a kids coach or something?

Netty said...

Humm.. I agree with Em.
I also think everyone needs to work in the fast food industry for a while!!! They would have a different tone when they ordered food. LOL!
Even when I was 30 something and we needed extra money I worked at KFC. Bro. Sutton delivered pizzas at Portland to catch up on some things.
Anyways you are mom and you know your child.